Monday, November 1, 2010

Loyalty lies...

Where does loyalty lie? These days, loyalty lies, period. The whole concept of loyalty seems to have lost its luster, as generations expand. Back in the black & white movie days, loyalty was the theme of major movies. These days, it seems as if movie themes are about current comfortable relationships seeking others and always seem to fall madly in love with a complete stranger. Go figure. Couples screwing loyalty, so to speak.
Continuing that theme, friendships seem to adopt this same pattern of nonexistence. Growing up as a young girl, I thought that the girl friends I established, would last me for life. That was certainly the intention i had, anyway. Especially once I reached high school. I had made at least 3 friendships all through middle and high school that I had thought would last me a lifetime. We would all meet our future husbands together, be in each other's weddings and see our children being born. Needless to say, I wasn't even invited to any of their weddings. Well, one of them called me the night before her wedding, wishing that I could of been there. Does that count? I at least got photos of their children. Is that some sort of consolation prize?
I guess the problem with me is, I always thought that my life would turn out to be so "Sex & the City" like. Well, minus the sex & the fashion. Maybe some fashion. What I mean is, the friendship part. I've always made friends pretty easy. Those that make their way deep into my heart, I always plan for them to be there for the rest of my life. Just like on t.v. and in the movies. Am I insane? Does this not happen?
Once I started what I thought was going to be a real career in the newspaper industry, I must of decided that loyalty would be a great quality to incorporate and embrace. Boy, what a complete waste of time, energy and hurt feelings that was. Showing loyalty as a quality and personal trait is like tacking a suicidal note to your forehead. Don't even bother.
Sadly all this has taught me to never spend money to be in anyone's wedding or shower them in gifts over their new children, because as long as you remain single, you will never be welcome into the life circle of friendship with anyone but your dogs. Unfortunately they don't live but an average life span of 7-10 years. I'm just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment