Friday, September 17, 2010

Where did the 'reality' go in reality t.v.?

I don't know who dreamed up the concept of 'Reality T.V.' shows, but I am quite envious. Talk about a multi million dollar enterprise. This trend has pretty much taken over prime time by storm. So much in fact, I can't recall watching a sitcom that was really worth watching since Friends and Seinfeld went off. E.R. was good drama, too. I miss that a lot.
The first reality show I think I ever watched was on MTV. Ah, 'The Osbournes'. Sheer genius. Now THAT seemed like real reality to me. Cameras rolling nonstop on a dysfunctional family of a man rock 'n roll refers to as 'The Prince of Darkness'. Just watching this family stumble through a day in their lives was entertaining to me. There didn't seem to be any 'made up' plots. No horrible acting. Just listening to Ozzy attempt to speak english was funny as hell to me. I was sad to see that show end.
Then came the whole 'Survivor' and 'Fear Factor' crap. This never entertained me at all. Sorry, there was no way I was buying that all these extremely attractive people were being filmed whilst they are either starving, or about to eat the poop shoot of a cow. I call bullshit, pardon the pun.
Along came the father/son business of Orange County Choppers. The Teutuls', Paul Sr. and Junior. Don't forget Mikey, the youngest one. Here is a man who started his own iron shop, decided to branch out into the motorcycle building business and brought in his sons. There is no denying that Paul Jr. is a design genius when it comes to choppers. Paul Sr. may of started the business, but he would not be where he is today, without that Spider bike and the tribute firefighters bike from the 9/11 tragedy. Now the show has turned into Paul Sr. trying to convince the world that he had more to do with his success other than footing the bill. I suggest he go back and review past episodes. He did not much more than scream and yell and make all his employees feel like they were working in complete hell. Sorry Sr., but I'm on Team Junior.
In rolls the tattoo industry. Starting off with Miami Ink. Was a fairly entertaining show, especially when they introduced the new female phenom of Kat Von D. Extremely young but quite talented artist this chic is. She also had a very sweet persona about her. She seemed so genuine back in those days. I was glad to see her get her own show. Once L.A. Ink hit the airwaves, she seemed to transform into a complete snob. Isn't it funny how money & fame changes people? Aren't tattooed people supposed to be all about peace and love? Nonjudgemental of others? They certainly preach enough about people judging them, right? Watch a few episodes of last season's L.A. Ink and see how the High Voltage tattoo parlor treats their new employees. Talk about complete and utter disdain. I thought to myself, there is no way that an employer can treat an employee like this, especially on national television. At this point, I decided that this can't possibly be real. Total made up story lines. There goes the reality, right out the window.
Don't even get me started on the whole series of 'The Real Housewives of...". We have California, New Jersey, New York, Atlanta and now D.C. Like actual real housewives want to watch this made up bunch of bullshit about rich women in big cities? There goes the reality starting with the title. Try coming up with a 'Real Housewives of Lancaster, Pennsylvania" or "...of Boise, Idaho". How about showing the plight of these women. Better yet, take Vicky out of Orange County and stick her spoiled rotten, neurotic ass in Greensburg, Kansas and watch her deal with an F5 tornado situation. Now, THAT'S entertainment.
Next comes 'Gene Simmons' Family Jewels' with the founder of Kiss. I enjoy this show despite its complete and obvious fakeness. I hate to say it but, Shannon and Tracy Tweed are the most horrible actresses known to mankind. How about leaving the whole facade of Lucille Ball to 'I Love Lucy'. That's been done. Leave it in the past, please.
I see no point in mentioning 'Bad Girls Club' or 'Jersey Shore' as I've watched the commercials. Not only is this the furthest thing from reality, I'd rather watch dust collect on the front of my television screen than put one plugged nickel in any of these people's pockets. Don't worry though, there are plenty of people out there bored enough to make sure Snookie has a secured future in the tanning booth. Too bad they hadn't come along while Johnny Depp was doing the remake of Willie Wonka. The entire cast of Jersey Shore could of played the Umpa Lumpas. No makeup required.
The world of entertaining sitcoms has now retired to the paid movie channels like HBO and Showtime. Shows worth watching you now have to pay $12.99 per month to see. Sad but true. The day will be coming soon when I have to have the cable shut off. Guess I won't be missing much. At least I can purchase the season DVDs of "Nurse Jackie" and "The Big C". I'm just sayin'...

2 comments:

  1. I never had the impression of tattooed people as being all peace-love-chocolate. Other than that, epic rant. :+}

    If I recall correctly, the first surreality show was MTV's The Real World. As a drama-inflicted twenty-something, I rather enjoyed it. Then came the Gross Food Surreality shows like Fear Factor and Survivor that totally ruined the genre... And now we have Dee Snider selling out with twathair riffs and spiders. Grf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apart from the Osbournes the only "reality" shows I enjoy watching are shows about employees in Airports, fishing crews and the like.

    Deadliest Catch is amazing.

    ReplyDelete